The school system in our Pre K to High School is a gamble which most families take when depending on them to educate our kids today. All you need to do is open a newsfeed website, newspaper, or a magazine in order to gauge the lack of organization that exists in our local school districts throughout America today. The atrocities, crimes, teacher assault, and major crimes being committed against our kids by the people who they are suppose to trust, is the major cause why most families in our country are deciding to Home school their kids. From pre-school to high school level education is being done at home by concerned parents who want to ensure a complete and mainly safe environment for their kids to learn in the comforts of their homes. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, a part of the Institute of Education Sciences, parent involvement in the education of children has increased exponentially since records have been gathered from 1991 to 2007. Surveys conducted by the Department of Education indicate the mistrust parents have for the educational system being administered in our schools today.
I have put together a basic list of websites to assist you in order to start the process of homeschooling your kids legally and effectively, without missing any requirements necessary for their college admission and testing. First, you need to determine if you can legally remove your child from your local school district in order to home school them, this is accomplished by contacting your local school board offices. Ask them these questions:
– What are the state, and local laws regarding homeschooling?
– What requisites do I need to Home school my kids?
– Are there any classes, prep-programs, seminars, or licenses I need to get or apply for?
– Can I get local school support for books and materials to home school my child?
Depending on the answers obtained from your local school officials, you can determine if you can legally home school your child and how.
Second, you need to structure your day in order to manage your time at home that you will designate to homeschooling. Many researchers have determine that 4 to 6 hours I the morning time and 2 to 4 hours of afternoon time for homework and research is the norm in order to successfully educate your child on a daily basis. After 2 hours of education, a 20 minute brake should be granted for bathroom, snacks, or minor playtime allowing the brain to relax, especially with the younger students. AS the educational needs increase along with age, a more rigorous schedule can be created. You have to be able to differentiate the different subjects that the law requires you to teach within this allotted time frame, this will keep your child interested and focused in the task at hand. A typical 5th grader school day should be as follows:
– 8:00 to 9:00 am Exploratory Sciences
– 9:00 to 10:00 am English Vocabulary and Literature
– – 10:00 to 10:20 am morning brake
– 10:20 to 11:30 am Mathematics
– 11:30 to 12:30 pm Electives such as Art, Penmanship, Home Economics, Fun reading, or any other type of educational subjects she might want to explore.
– 12:30 to 1:00 pm Lunch break.
– 1:00 to 2:00 pm Science and Biology as needed.
– 2:00 to 3:00 pm Electives or alternating class to vary the daily routine. In this time frame you can include any class you think your child might benefit from.
– 3:00 to 3:20 Homework assignment and explanations prior to dismissal.
– 6:00 to 7:00 pm Homework time and school review prior to bed.
This schedule would ensure a complete day of schooling for your 10 year old, and open their minds to fascinating world of learning.
Finally, I recommend frequent testing and assessments to be carried out on a weekly or bi-weekly basis in order to gauge the level of comprehension of your child. Testing should accomplished during an early morning exploratory class, or on an off day like a Saturday morning, allowing your child to devote an hour to 2 hours for this subject. This guide can be supplanted by accessing more resources at the following websites: