Most girls relish the chance to have complete control in decorating their dorm rooms, although they are usually not as radical as they would like to think. Decorating a dorm room on a budget though can be a challenge, especially if you would like to mimic the comfort of your room at home. There may be some obvious limitations from the start; for instance, you may be sharing your dorm room with someone else and the room is most likely not going to be as big as your room at home. It is therefore important to pay attention to how you are going to use your space. It may be a good idea to talk to your new roommate beforehand to come up with an approach.
The following tips will guide you through the process of making your dorm room reflect your personality on a budget.
1. Contact your roommate. Introducing yourself can help break the ice and you can also try to get some insight on if your new roommate has design plans of her own. This will help you to work together so that your styles complement each other. At the very least it will indicate if you are going to have to stock up on privacy screens and come up with innovative ways to demarcate your space.
2. Visit department stores. All major department stores have entire sections dedicated to decorating dorm rooms. By strolling through the aisles for inspiration you will be able to get a better idea of what is available and what colors you are attracted to. Using the internet to browse makes it even easier to comparison shop in an instant.
3. Select a color scheme. Your color inspiration can come from anywhere. You may take a cue from a comforter set that you love or simply choose your favorite colors. If you are not confident that you can select colors that will work together, try to find a picture or a piece of fabric that depicts a combination that you love and then simply follow their use of color. Be sure to mimic the proportion of the colors as well, so if the fabric is mostly blue you will know that you should find ways to use a lot of blue and then accent with the other color or colors.
4. Focus on the bed. The bed is probably going to be the largest piece of furniture in the room and it will also act as a multi-functional item. Before you know it you will be having lunch, gathering with friends, studying and of course sleeping on your bed, so it helps to make it comfortable. The comforter and bed spread that you select will also be a major style indicator and you should use this item to coordinate your color scheme as well as set the tone for your overall style. You may think this is a lot to ask of bedding, but by using the right colors and selecting a print that reflects your style whether contemporary or more traditional it can really live up to the task of setting the tone.
5. Be sure you comply with the rules. You should check with your dorm to find out the rules about hanging pictures and using other wall treatments. It is probably safe to assume that you are not allowed to use nails or extremely adhesive materials, but there are ways to work around this as well. You can have a large board framed and hang it from a beautiful hook so that you can tack up your pictures and other memorabilia. 3M has a wide range of hooks that are easy to install and don’t leave a trace when it’s time to take them down.
6. Get a rug. Having a nice large rug is a great way to introduce another layer of color and texture into the room and it also acts as a great landing pad for friends. Sitting on the floor will become much more pleasant if you have a nice comfortable rug to cushion you.
7. Think storage. Starting off with a plan for how you will organize your stuff makes keeping your dorm looking presentable much easier. You should have a good looking hamper, a shelf to stack your books and some storage boxes or baskets to be used to store those things that you need close by but not necessarily exposed. There is a wide variety of attractive storage solutions to fit any style and any color scheme, so have fun looking for the right set.
Decorating your dorm room is a chance to really let your inner diva shine and it is possible to do it on a budget. Take your time at the beginning of the process and once you select a color scheme the rest will follow, just remember to make a list to ensure that you get what is important and you don’t get carried away with unnecessary items.