Western Carolina University is a small public college in the southwest corner of North Carolina. Why would anyone want to get an education in a tiny place called Cullowhee? Here are five reasons:
1. Location. Jackson County, NC (www.mountainlovers.com) is a beautiful mountain community surrounded by some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the country. There are more than 19 waterfalls (www.ncwaterfalls.com) located within the county, including the highest waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains! Also nearby is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hate the outdoors and would rather shop? WCU is only 50 miles from Asheville and 150 miles to Atlanta! Want to see where they filmed the train wreck in The Fugitive? Take a trip on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad (www.gsmr.com). Visit the Highlands (www.highlandsinfo.com) or Cashiers (www.cashiers-nc.com) areas to schmooze with the uber-rich. Altogether, plenty to do and see if you stay at Western for four years or more!
2. Cost. We all know that college is getting chepear all the time, right?! To quote Borat……NOT! Would you believe in-state tuition of less than $2500 a semester (2007 figures)? Almost 3 out of every four WCU students receive some sort of financial aid? WCU also awards almost $1 million dollars in merit-based scholarships annually. Check out the Financial Aid page: http://www.wcu.edu/finaid/staff.html Maybe you are thinking, who cares how much it costs, I’ll just take out student loans…..but you will have to pay those back! More than likely, when you graduate you will really like to have that money for a new car, wedding, or even a down payment on a house! Much better to pick an affordable college now than to pay for an expensive one for the rest of your life!
3. Academics. Say, did you know that Construction Management is one of the hottest and fastest-growing careers in the world today? WCU offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in Construction Management. This is just one of over 120 undergraduate majors and concentrations, and more than 30 graduate programs. Regardless of what your interests are, or even if you have no idea, chances are that WCU has something for you. Western Carolina University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
4. Growth. Have you ever visited your older buddies or siblings at college and wondered how anyone could live in such a dump? WCU is in the middle of a $130 million construction explosion including: Two new residence halls, a Greek village, a new Student Recreation Center, new and renovated athletic facilities, and even more renovation and new construction on the horizon!. This is in addition to the recent acquisition of over 300 acres for the proposed Millennial Campus (http://millennial.wcu.edu/about.html).
5. Athletics. If you are a player or merely a spectator, or even an Intramural hero, WCU has something for you. See the WCU Athletics home page (http://catamountsports.cstv.com/index-main.html) for more information on tickets, support for student-athletes and schedules.
In conclusion……Cullowhee is a great place! Come and take a tour anytime (http://www.wcu.edu/544.asp)