Working with fabric can be a lot of fun. It is even more fun making things with fabric during playtime. It is rewarding for adults and children to complete activities together. Two fun playtime fabric crafts are a fabric picture frame and fabric pencil holder.
Fabric Picture Frame
This project is a lot of fun to make and makes an excellent gift. The child can do most of the work. However, the adult should do a few steps depending on the age of the child.
1 – 8 x 10 cardboard
1- 5 x 7 cardboard
Different pieces of fabric
1) The adult will cut the cardboard into one 8 x 10 piece and one 5 x 7 piece.
2) Using the utility knife the adult will cut a 4 x 6 square out of the 5 x 7 piece of cardboard making a border for the picture.
3) Glue a piece of fabric on the 8 x 10 piece of cardboard using the craft glue
4) Glue a different piece of fabric on the 5 x 7 piece of cardboard using the craft glue.
5) Glue the 5 x 7 piece of cardboard on the center of the 8 x 10 piece of cardboard using the craft glue. Only glue the sides and the bottom of the cardboard so that a picture can be placed inside.
6) Allow the frame to dry completely.
7) Glue the string on the back of the frame so that it can be hung allowing the glue to dry completely.
8) Place a picture in the frame and keep it or give the frame as a gift.
This project is fun for kids to make. It is very simple and the kids complete all of the steps 3 – 8 with little or no supervision. Older children can cut the cardboard out with supervision.
Fabric Pencil Holder
This craft can be done mostly by the child. The younger children will need the adult to cut strips of fabric for the craft but other than that, it is a child friendly craft.
1 soup can cleaned with the label removed
Different scraps of fabric
1) Empty and clean a soup can, allow it to dry thoroughly
2) Cut out strips of fabric
3) Glue the fabric on the can in strips. There are many creative ways this can be done, glue them in a collage, horizontally or vertically. One piece of fabric can be used for the pencil holder too.
4) Let the fabric dry for about 30 minutes
5) Glue buttons to the pencil holder for added decoration
This craft is so simple, yet a lot of fun. It can also be done using baby food jars. Once the pencil holder is complete, it can be used by the crafter or given as a gift.
Making crafts with kids is a lot of fun. A fabric frame and fabric pencil holder are both simple crafts that will provide children with fun and unique items to place around their home or give out to family and friends.