Who should Teach our Kids about Homosexuality – Parents

Homosexuality is not a subject that requires attention to be given to it by teachers. While it is fine to have a certain amount of sex education at school, this should be restricted to objective information about the subject and not cross over into subjective opinions about sexual preferences. It is one thing to teach the date when the Pilgrims landed in America, and quite another to offer advice on sexual practice. This leaves our children open to manipulation by unscrupulous teachers and perhaps even to abuse.

Children do not all mature at the same rate, so the difficulty arises of deciding when would be the best time to offer a class on homosexuality. In any case, not all kids ask the same questions, and for many, particularly at an early age, homosexuality is not even an issue. The statistic that used to go around was that only around 10% of the population are curious about homosexuality, so why subject the other 90% to information that does not interest them? The best place to learn about these things is in the home, where parents can address the issue according to the knowledge they have about their own children’s level of maturity and depth of curiosity.

The moral and religious dilemma should also be considered. Many, particularly Christians and Muslims, still find the idea of homosexuality offensive. Different families have a different moral outlook on the matter, and while the majority of parents these days would be at ease offering an impartial guide to the choices on offer, some would be horrified by the suggestion that their children would want to know about anything other than the common and straightforward boy-girl scenario.

I would also be fearful in case undue attention to the subject in schools might encourage some pupils to experiment in an area they would not otherwise have considered. Why subject our kids to this extra emotional burden, when they had no interest in it to begin with? Certainly, all children need to learn the value of tolerance and acceptance of others, but this can be handled within a general ethics class and does not need to be centred on homosexuality per se.

The sort of things that ought to be discussed in sex class are the biology of reproduction, methods of contraception, and the risks involved in having unprotected sex. By keeping to the facts and avoiding subjective opinion about matters such as abortion, for example, the child is educated without being indoctrinated. The priority ought to be that children have enough information at their disposal to be able to make sensible decisions. They can make up their own minds about sexual preference later.